Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Poetry Is NOT a Luxury

Audre Lorde

Teach Em Tuesday… I was introduced to Audre Lorde’s writings my freshman year of college. Exploring the realms of the world…. The unconditional moves that we make in life that are dedicated to self growth and development.. put her in my path. Zami… I remember reading that book like 3 times.. and every time finding something new to connect with. A new question to ask myself… and those around me. As my studies developed so did my need to research my likes… which put me on to Poetry is Not a Luxury essay. Now, whenever I need a reminder of why I was blessed with this gift to move my fingertips in such a way that puts emotions in frames for history that plants images with each stroke… I read this essay. Don’t hesitate to experience this pleasure with me…

Poetry Is NOT a Luxury: Audre Lorde



The Quality of Light by which we scrutinize our lives has direct bearing upon the product which we live, and upon the changes which we hope to bring about through those lives. It is within this light that we form those ideas by which we pursue our magic and make it realized. This is poetry as illumination, for it is through peotry that we give name to those ideas which are - until the poem - nameless and formless, about to be birthed, but already felt. That distillation of experience from which true poetry springs births thought as dreams births concepts, as feeling births idea, as knowldege births (precedes) understanding...


http://books.google.com/books?id=r3Ct8Qw3de8C&lpg=PP1&dq=sister%20outsider&pg=PA36#v=onepage&q=&f=false

No comments:

Post a Comment